The Socialists are availing their “Perfect Opportunity” to inflict as much Socialism on the American People as possible, as fast as they can, before the 71% of Angry American Voters collectively slams the door in their Socialist Faces in 2010 and 2012.
From The Washington Examiner…
HHS would become federal giant under Senate plan
By: Susan Ferrechio
Chief Congressional Correspondent
November 26, 2009
A quick search of the Senate health bill will bring up “secretary” 2,500 times.
That’s because Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius would be awarded unprecedented new powers under the proposal, including the authority to decide what medical care should be covered by insurers as well as the terms and conditions of coverage and who should receive it.
“The legislation lists 1,697 times where the secretary of health and humans services is given the authority to create, determine or define things in the bill,” said Devon Herrick, a health care expert at the National Center for Policy Analysis.
For instance, on Page 122 of the 2,079-page bill, the secretary is given the power to establish “the basic per enrollee, per month cost, determined on average actuarial basis, for including coverage under a qualified health care plan.”
The HHS secretary would also have the power to decide where abortion is allowed under a government-run plan, which has drawn opposition from Republicans and some moderate Democrats.
And the bill even empowers the department to establish a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation that would have the authority to make cost-saving cuts without having to get the approval of Congress first.
“It’s a huge amount of power being shifted to HHS, and much of it is highly discretionary,” said Edmund Haislmaier, an expert in health care policy and insurance markets at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.
Haislmaier said one the greatest powers HHS would gain from the bill is the authority to regulate insurance. States currently hold this power, and under the Senate bill, the federal government would usurp it from them. This could lead to the federal government putting restrictions and changes in place that destabilize the private insurance market by forcing companies to lower premiums and other charges, he said.
“Health and Human Services … doesn’t have any experience with this,” Haislmaier said. “I’m looking at the potential for this whole thing to just blow up on people because they have no idea what they are doing. Who in the federal government regulates insurance today? Nobody.”
The health care reform legislation would rely on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force for recommendations as to what kind of screening and preventive care should be covered. Last week, the group, which operates under HHS, drew sharp criticism for advising that mammograms should begin at age 50, a decade later than the current standard.
- Obama: King of All Statists
- Protesting Cartoons: A Real Hate Crime
- Going Rogue goes Platinum; Print Run Increased to 2.8 Million
- CBO: Porkulus Created/Saved Possibly 1.1 Million Jobs +/- 500,000 Jobs
- White House Balks at ClimateGate, Says Climate Change is Happening
- Palin’s book sells a million copies in two weeks
- Now You Can Feel Sorry For Me?
- Genius Palin-basher thinks “Black Friday” is RAAAAACIST
- The Club Of Rome:A Major Force Behind Global Warming Alarmism And its Push For A New World Order
- Republicans Seen as the Friendliest Towards Religion
- The ClimateGate money trail
- HOLIDAY BOOK SALE: Best. Reagan. Book. Evah!
- Obama Discusses Afghanistan
- Black Muslim Group called Seattle Black Foot Soldiers celebrates “Brother & Martyr” Maurice Clemmons – he also became a member of the Nation of Islam while in Arkansas!
- GOP Wins Big Race in New York
- HARDEST HIT BY OBAMACARE
- De-Fund Holder’s Manhattan Transfer
- Let them dig ditches
- Palin Book Attributes Leftist Native-American’s Quote to UCLA’s John Wooden
- WSJ: The AGW bubble is about to crumble
- Rasmussen: 71% angry at federal government
- ‘Obviously, a Scary Moment’
- my previous blogpost
- Yet Another Obama Double Standard | Moonbat Patrol
- Will Rush be history in less than 3 years? | Mad Conservative
- Code Pink: Code word for Another Radical Anti-American Hate Group? : Lisa in Texas
- Pussy Boy in Chief. Barack Obama : Boudica WPI
- No Separation of Church and State | Animal Farm
- Levi Johnston and Jon Gosselin Will Not Go Quietly | SamHenry